Yay, I’m officially cleared for IVF! For those of you who may be gearing up for your own hydrosonogram, Tuesday morning went like this:
- I took 400mg of ibuprofen and half a Xanax 30 minutes prior to my appointment. I must admit I was a little scared and very nervous because my last IUI was painful and the HSG I had done a year ago was quite uncomfortable as well.
- The RE took some vitals. I told him I was nervous, which he confirmed by my crazy heart rate.
- Then it was time for the stirrups. First up was a friendly visit with the dildo cam. To check for cysts, I presume.
- Queue tears at this point. Doc asks me some friendly “I pay attention to my patients’ lives” questions, which was totally touching. I burst into tears so I couldn’t even answer his questions. I don’t even know why I was crying! I guess it was because I was scared. While the water works were gushing, the speculum went in and he cleaned my cervix with iodine. Then in went the catheter. Ouch! But only for a few seconds. Same kind of pain as my last IUI, but lasted only slightly longer.
- I didn’t have any cramping or spotting afterwards.
The doctor said he’s very pleased with my uterus and I’m approved to start IVF next cycle. I then met with the nurse who asked if insurance covered the meds, to which I replied, of course not. She decided to make a few calls and wouldn’t you know it, everything but the hCG shot was covered! We’re only ~$100 out-of-pocket so far. I still have to get the Follistim, but I have a BOGO discount card. I think Follistim cots around $300. I’m very pleased wih these amounts because I was expecting to have to shell out ~$2,000 for the meds this cycle.
The nurse called in all of my meds so I have everything I need to get started next month. Now let’s just hope AF stays away until mid-Dcember. I normally have 35 day cycles so hoping that’s true again this cycle. Obligatory HOLY SHIT THATS A LOT OF MEDICINE photo coming soon!