Upping The Ante

As I’ve mentioned, we’re putting back two embryos this time. Decision is made. We’re not changing our minds. But there’s one little thing eating away at me. Let me explain.

Our baker’s dozen were frozen on day 4 as follows:

  • straw #1: 2 perfect embryos
  • straw #2: 2 perfect embryos
  • straw #3: 1 perfect and 2 very good embryos
  • straw #4: 3 very good embryos
  • straw #5: 3 very good embryos

I believe the thaw survival rate is around 70%. Here are the possible scenarios:

Perfect scenario: thaw straw #1 and (fingers crossed) they both make it. Transfer two embryos.

Next best scenario: only one survives from straw #1, so we thaw straw #2. One also survives from straw #2. Transfer two embryos.

Least preferred scenario: only one survives from straw #1, so we thaw straw #2. Two survive from straw #2, giving us a total of three thawed embryos.

What do we do? Do we refreeze* the third? Do we just go ahead and transfer all three? Do we discard one? We really don’t want multiples (which is why we went with single ET last time) and transferring three would increase our odds of multiples. I think I’m leaning toward refreezing. But if my RE recommends against it, I don’t want the embryo discarded. Hmmm. What do you think?

*I found a little research (PDF) on refreezing embryos:

  • Multi-cell embryos frozen once had a 76.3% survival rate after thaw and those frozen twice had a 74.0% survival rate.
  • For frozen ET cycles that had no twice-frozen embryos, the viable pregnancy and implantation rates were 58.3% and 29.8%, respectively.
  • The corresponding rates for cycles involving at least one twice-frozen embryo were 50.0% and 25.5%, respectively.

7 responses to “Upping The Ante

  1. Pingback: Welcome February ICLWers! « venting vagina

  2. Jen

    Tough call. I guess it boils down to which do you want least: to have a multiple or to possibly discard one? I’ve never had many embryos so I personally couldn’t discard one. But your situation is way different. 🙂 I hope this just doesn’t happen so that you don’t have to decide!

  3. This is the biggest issue I face too…the whole discarding thing. I hope the 1 straw thaws perfectly, xoxo

  4. Ha! I’m thinking about the very same things because I’ll be having my FET in April! However, my clinic won’t refreeze so if we end up with 3 thawed and only put in 2…we’d have to discard one, which we won’t do. So…the decision is easy for us, though swallowing the risk isn’t. So often I rely on the odds to make decisions, and the odds are lower with an FET, so I tell myself putting in three is like putting in 2 for a fresh cycle. Still, there are bloggers I follow who feel on the other side of the odds…so you have to be prepared no matter what the outcome. Nothing easy about it.

    Hopefully you don’t find yourself in that position. 🙂

  5. I can’t imagine having enough embryos to even have to make that decision. With a 70% thawing rate, most likely both will be fine. But it sounds like you have lots of plan B’s if needed. 3 weeks is gonna fly by! Can’t wait to see this batch of cupcakes!

  6. Pingback: Very Loved And A Little Bit Pregnant « venting vagina

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Welcome!

After nearly 3 years of TTC and the help of ART, we got pregnant on our 5th IVF/FET transfer after IVF #2. Our beautiful fraternal twin boys were born on 7/15/11 at 37w0d.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 62 other followers

Archives

%d bloggers like this: