Last Day For Lupron

Wow, the embryo decision is so tough! We met with the RE yesterday morning and right off the bat, he recommended that we transfer three embryos this time. Then we reminded him of our lack of desire for multiples and he promptly changed his opinion to two embryos. Then I explained that I really, really needed this to work. I’m going to be 35 in less than a month! I’ve been pumping my body full of meds for a year! We’ve been trying for 2.5 years! I can’t take another failure. Then he said he was fine with three because he didn’t want me to blame him if it didn’t work. So much for a professional opinion!

We left with the decision that we’d transfer three embryos, but we’re still on the fence. We might call to change it to two next week. I don’t know what to do. Frozen embryos have a lower success rate than fresh, so maybe we should stick with three. But we know two almost worked for us last time. I should just trust you guys. The majority of you voted for three. I really wish this wasn’t such a game of chance. I want scientific support for my decision-making! Argh!

I think this would be easier for me if the medicated FET process didn’t take so long. Why do we have to do so much suppression? Can’t we try something that more closely mimics a normal cycle? (My RE’s answer is no.) From the date of the first AF to the beta it’s a total of 6 weeks and 6 days. That’s an extra 3 weeks! Almost a whole new cycle! If it weren’t for the extra time a medicated FET adds, I think I’d be on board with two embryos because if it didn’t work I would know that within 2 to 3 weeks I’d be PUPO again.

Maybe we should try two this time and get a second opinion from an RE who would be open to trying something different next time if this try doesn’t work. But wouldn’t I have to start getting my second opinion right now in order to be ready to start a new cycle right away? Would I feel guilty discussing “next time” with a new RE if I could possibly be pregnant from my current cycle? Omg, sorry – totally rambling my anxious train of thought right now.

I’m getting way too ahead of myself. Whatever we decide, this cycle is GOING TO MOTHERFUCKING WORK.

Other than that, my appointment was uneventful. My lady parts looked good and my lining was 8mm. I’ll discontinue the Lupron* after tonight (yay!) and I’ll start PIO on July 3rd. The transfer will be on the 8th and my beta will be on the 20th. Now if we could just settle on our decision on the number of embryos to transfer. Siiigh. And trust me, I get it. I’m pinching myself that I’m even lucky enough to have this decision to make.

* I managed to give myself only one bruise and it’s a really nasty one. I’ve named it Bruce.

7 responses to “Last Day For Lupron

  1. It’s a really difficult decision. You desperately want a child, but you don’t want multiples. But you can’t conceive of handling another failure. Ugh. It’s tough. My sister had so many failures and was out of pocket so much money that she asked her RE to transfer 4 blastocysts (using donor eggs!) and her surrogate got pregnant with quads (and they reduced to two). You’ll never be 100% sure of your decision, but whatever you decide, I’m really really hoping that this time is it for you!!

  2. It’s such a hard call. For me, the best way to look at it was this, ask yourself this question: do I NOT want to have multiples more than I WANT to have a baby? If the answer is yes, my choice would be to put two back. If the answer is no, I would take the risk and put back three. Is two babies better than none?

  3. ifcrossroads

    Here is the way I’d look at it. You have to be prepared for the same amount of babies as the embies transferred. If you are dead-set against triplets, then don’t transfer three. Same with two – because honestly babybaker? you just NEVER know what will happen.
    I understand your dilemma. I did not want twins, trips or quads. I only wanted one and I struggled with my decision.
    GL with your decision and just know you have a few more days to think on it.

  4. Good luck with your decision! Sending thoughts and good vibes that this is your cycle!!!

  5. I don’t envy your decision. I guess if I were you, I’d ask myself what I could live with. Can you live with twins? Triplets? A BFN after transfering 1 or 2 embryos ? Hopefully, whatever you decide on will result in a single, lovable baby. Sounds like you still have time to think.

  6. i’m kinda amused that your doc went from 3 to 2 back to 3. but i’m guessin that from your side you’re not as amused :o)

    whether 2 or 3 – i don’t think you can go wrong and i’m sooo excited for you :o)

  7. You could transfer one and that one embryo could easily turn into 2, 3, 4, etc. I think you will be given what you are given for a reason….if multiplies are your destiny, then embrace it instead of being against it. More to love instead of being a burden. You will have to live with your decision if you choose 2 and it doesn’t work because then you will beat yourself up wishing that you transferred 3 as that 3rd one could be the prize.

    Good luck! I’ll be waiting to hear!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Welcome!

After nearly 3 years of TTC and the help of ART, we got pregnant on our 5th IVF/FET transfer after IVF #2. Our beautiful fraternal twin boys were born on 7/15/11 at 37w0d.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 64 other followers

Archives

%d bloggers like this: